[Icecast] Character encodings in ICY metadata

Greg Ogonowski greg at indexcom.com
Mon Dec 3 09:38:08 UTC 2018

UTF-8 handles ALL character sets. That’s the whole idea of Unicode.

We have encoder users all over the world using UTF-8.

Handles all Asian languages with no problem, including Burmese which is a more recent addition to the current Unicode version due to additional complications. Requires Operating Systems with the latest Unicode version.

Here is an HLS stream with metadata done right:

https://db2.indexcom.com/playertest/05_diag/

Note Extensible Metadata Fields have been set up with multiple languages, and they are all sent at once.

In order for this to work properly, the entire metadata path from start to finish is required to be UTF-8 Unicode. Any modern software is.

/greg.

StreamS HiFi Radio