[Icecast] Character encodings in ICY metadata

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Mon Dec 3 08:50:07 UTC 2018

Good morning,

On Sat, 2018-12-01 at 16:20 -0800, Greg Ogonowski wrote:
> UTF-8 is now the universal standard.

(ICY context:) Expect if you are in Asia. Or in central Europe. Or maybe
in Africa. I'm not aware of servers on the poles, maybe they use..., ...

> It supports ALL character sets.

As long as "ALL" is defined as what English people need plus all emoji
in all skin colours but green.

There are still a lot characters not included even if the set they
contain to is in the list.

While UTF-8 is most likely the way you want to go, it is by no means
universal.

The truth is that ICY is just a broken protocol that does not give you
any way to define what charset you use. So you need to guess anyway.
Some software guesses by detecting special characters in the strings,
some by using a randomly chosen fixed charset (yes, just using UTF-8 is
randomly chosen).

ICY streams are also changing charset between updates at will.

Generally speaking I would strongly recommend to migrate away from it.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015