[Icecast] Icecast is running, but not responding

Mike Williams zinphad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:56:19 UTC 2016


Howdy,

I work for a public radio station, and have setup several Icecast servers
in the past to stream our content.  We have a new HD channel that we are
trying to stream, and the new server is vexing me.

This is a fresh dedicated server running RHEL 7.2 on a virtual system
running VMWare 6.1.

The install was done with the command  yum --nogpgcheck localinstall
icecast-2.4.2-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

I copied the old icecast.xml file from my primary Icecast server, to save
some time, but when that did not work, I started again from scratch and
setup a very basic xml file, but that did not work either.  The current
icecast.xml file (a bit redacted) is:

<icecast>
    <limits>
        <clients>1000</clients>
        <sources>5</sources>
        <threadpool>5</threadpool>
        <queue-size>524288</queue-size>
        <client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
        <header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
        <source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
        <burst-size>65535</burst-size>
    </limits>

    <authentication>
        <!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->
        <source-password>mypass</source-password>
        <!-- Relays log in username 'relay' -->
        <relay-password>mypass</relay-password>
        <!-- Admin logs in with the username given below -->
        <admin-user>admin</admin-user>
        <admin-password>mypass</admin-password>
    </authentication>

    <hostname>my.ip.address</hostname>

    <listen-socket>
        <port>8000</port>
    </listen-socket>
    <fileserve>1</fileserve>

    <mount>
<mount-name>/hd2</mount-name>
    </mount>
    <paths>
        <basedir>/usr/share/icecast</basedir>
        <logdir>/var/log/icecast</logdir>
        <webroot>/usr/share/icecast/web</webroot>
        <adminroot>/usr/share/icecast/admin</adminroot>
        <pidfile>/var/run/icecast/icecast.pid</pidfile>
        <alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
    </paths>

    <logging>
        <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
        <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
        <playlistlog>playlist.log</playlistlog>
      <loglevel>4</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
    </logging>

    <security>
        <chroot>0</chroot>
        <changeowner>
            <user>icecast</user>
            <group>icecast</group>
        </changeowner>
    </security>
</icecast>

When I run netstat -tnlp I get
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
    PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
     1358/sshd
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
     2054/master
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
     3095/icecast
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN
     1358/sshd
tcp6       0      0 ::1:25                  :::*                    LISTEN
     2054/master

So it's listening.  But when I try to access it via my.ip.address:8000, it
times out.  Also when I try to send audio from the encoder, it will not
connect.  However, when I do a tcpdump -n -i eth0 tcp port 8000 while the
encoder is trying to hit it, I get
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
12:40:42.043018 IP encoder.ip.address.52497 > my.ip.address.irdmi: Flags
[S], seq 3183330347, win 8192, options [mss 1460,nop,wscale
8,nop,nop,sackOK], length 0

every couple of seconds.  When trying to connect via web browser I get
12:43:38.625144 IP browser.ip.address.54947 > my.ip.address.irdmi: Flags
[S], seq 1526231377, win 8192, options [mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK], length 0

So packets from both the browser and the encoder are getting to the server.

The error log from last night (when I last restarted it) reads
[2016-07-06  22:53:09] INFO main/main Icecast 2.4.2 server started
[2016-07-06  22:53:09] DBUG yp/yp_recheck_config Updating YP configuration
[2016-07-06  22:53:09] INFO yp/yp_update_thread YP update thread started
[2016-07-06  22:53:09] INFO connection/get_ssl_certificate No SSL
capability on any configured ports
[2016-07-06  22:53:10] DBUG slave/_slave_thread checking master stream list

The last line repeats every couple of minutes from there on.

Icecast was started using the command
systemctl start icecast.service
systemctl -l status icecast.service

Jul 06 22:53:09 servername.company.name icecast[3094]: Starting icecast2

Jul 06 22:53:09 servername.company.name icecast[3094]: Detaching from the
console

Jul 06 22:53:09 servername.company.name icecast[3094]: Changed groupid to
991.

Jul 06 22:53:09 servername.company.name icecast[3094]: Changed
supplementary groups based on user: icecast.

Jul 06 22:53:09 servername.company.name icecast[3094]: Changed userid to
994.

The icecast.service file is
[Unit]
Description=Icecast Network Audio Streaming Server
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/icecast -b -c /etc/icecast.xml
Type=forking
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I am sure there is info that I did not think to include.

Any thought you have as to why this is happening are welcome.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/attachments/20160707/ef55f55e/attachment.html>


More information about the Icecast mailing list