[Icecast] Config and other areas of struggle

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 22:34:25 UTC 2016

Hi Marvin,

On 23/07/16 10:03, Marvin Scholz wrote:

> The hostname should be set to the external hostname of the server, NOT
> the internal IP (like 192.168.x.x) unless you only use Icecast in your
> private network and do not want to use it from the internet.

I must disagree.
I have a site [ one of several running icecast2] where we have 2 icecast
servers one primary and one backup.
They are on the same IP network
We have 2 external IP's both running fibre.
This allows us to feed audio from server A or server B via IP 1 or IP 2
because either network can and has 'gone down' and sometimes one or
other server has failed. [usually power; either UPS or mains]
We have outages; we don't have disruption.
The hostname has to be ' the buck stops here' and the ip address of the
host is preferable because M$ name resolution is not 100% perfect and
it's one less thing to go wrong. The external IP address of your
modem/router is a waypoint.
I have also found that regardless of any instructions this is what you
have to do to get it to work.

In this instance the network runs both Windows and Linux machines to
enable end users to us the software they prefer, while Linux does the
heavy lifting.

Each router is set to point external clients on port 8000 or 8004 to one
or other of the servers on port 8000.
One of our external clients is a streaming server, four others are
repeaters of the programme.
We have a main and a fall back option at each client location.

I have 5 possibly 6 Icecast servers all configured the same. The IP
address of the host is used in the <hostname></hostname> setting.

regards

Robert Jeffares

--
*Communication Consultants*