[Icecast] Change fallback mount file automatically?

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Wed Jun 24 20:31:13 UTC 2015

reflum,

On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 06:55 -0700, that Jack Elliott wrote:
> Oh -- then I did not understand the documentation.
>
> fallback-mount
> This optional value specifies a mountpoint that clients are
> automatically moved to if the source shuts down or is not streaming at
> the time a listener connects. Only one can be listed in each mount and
> should refer to another mountpoint on the same server that is
> streaming in the _same streaming format_.
>
> I was thinking that "same streaming format" referred to
> bitrate/channels, etc. Perhaps it means mp3 or ogg.

I think this is just 80% of the story:
*only the container needs to match.
With Ogg you can in theory even change the used codec.
But:
Most players are broken in one or another way. The closer you are the
better it will work. With MP3 non-matching parameters are likely going
to break stuff. With Ogg based streams non-matching parameters are
sometimes going to be a problem. At least you can variate effective
bitrate with Ogg/Vorbis freely without any problems (as in contrast to
MP3 bitrate is not related to the other parameters).

Also note that MP3 is not officially supported and MP3 related requests
are largely ignored. It may or may not work for you. If not: your
problem.

I recommend you to use any Ogg based codec as it would solve your
problem perfectly (changing bitrates) and is supported, well tested,
much better on all technical aspects and there are no license problems.

Anyway: Have fun with your setup and thank you for using Icecast!

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)