[Icecast] Change fallback mount file automatically?

that Jack Elliott thatjackelliott at kpov.org
Wed Jun 24 20:49:19 UTC 2015

Philipp,

On 6/24/2015 1:31 PM, Philipp Schafft wrote:
> reflum,
>
> On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 06:55 -0700, that Jack Elliott wrote:
>> Oh -- then I did not understand the documentation.
>>
>> fallback-mount
>> This optional value specifies a mountpoint that clients are
>> automatically moved to if the source shuts down or is not streaming at
>> the time a listener connects. Only one can be listed in each mount and
>> should refer to another mountpoint on the same server that is
>> streaming in the _same streaming format_.
>>
>> I was thinking that "same streaming format" referred to
>> bitrate/channels, etc. Perhaps it means mp3 or ogg.
> <snip>
>
> Also note that MP3 is not officially supported and MP3 related requests
> are largely ignored. It may or may not work for you. If not: your
> problem.

Understood.

> I recommend you to use any Ogg based codec as it would solve your
> problem perfectly (changing bitrates) and is supported, well tested,
> much better on all technical aspects and there are no license problems.

Understood. But the hosts at the radio station are not very technical
and they are not very teachable. The player must operate under OSX, and
the hosts are used to iTunes (which I despise) as the player. Perhaps it
is possible to teach iTunes under OSX to play ogg. But of course that
will be another unsupported combination. See here for a discussion about
iTunes and ogg: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5483035?tstart=0

Or maybe I should set up a small unused laptop with Linux and put a
player on it, and have it always on, but hidden away on a shelf, and
connect the output of the laptop to the broadcast console. I must think
about this.

> Anyway: Have fun with your setup and thank you for using Icecast!

Thank you for the support!

--
Jack Elliott
Producer, The Point Wednesday