[Icecast] Pathing syntax for icecast.xml in Windows

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:45:07 UTC 2015

On 1 Jun 2015, at 16:31, Jack Elliott 541 848 7021 wrote:

> Hi Marvin, thank you.
>
> Okay, then to be clear, "webroot" for the purposes of running Icecast
> under Windows would be the same folder where icecast.xml is normally
> found, i.e., C:\Program Files\icecast

The webroot is where the web files are, so it should be `web` on Windows
and
contain files like `status.xsl`.

> And, if I read you correctly, suppose my normal mount coming from my
> source client is called /example  (it is an mp3 stream so I don't
> specify the extension). If I place a file called "example.mp3" in the
> webroot, and rename my live mount "example.mp3" then will Icecast
> automatically fall back to the static file in the event that the
> source
> client goes off-air?

No, I re-checked to be clear and the correct statement is:
Icecast will treat static files like mounts if they are in webroot. This
means that if you
have a mount defined in your config with the name foo.mp3 and you have a
foo.mp3 in your webroot,
Icecast will apply the mount settings (like auth for example) to this
static file.
Best is to never have a static file with the same name as a mountpoint
you want to stream to.

But that handling makes it possible that you can use a static file as
fallback mount, because Icecast will
play the file, if there is one with the same name as the mountpoint.
Just make sure to place the file in the webroot and name it to something
that won't conflict with any other
stream. Then enter that name for the fallback mount as explained in my
last mail.