[Icecast] Software running, but no audio

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri Nov 21 15:10:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 11/21/2014 02:42 PM, Brad Isbell wrote:
> Thomas,
> Do you by chance know which players are ignoring the content-type
> headers? I have done quite a bit of testing for that exact issue but
> haven't ran into any problems. Perhaps I am testing the wrong players.

I'm 100% sure only of Winamp right now, but there have been many many
more and it's a very frequent problem mentioned on IRC. I'm hesitant to
name any as I don't have test results at hand.
Someone™ could make a wiki page of players and their support of things
like content-type, ogg chaining, Opus, etc.
http://wiki.xiph.org/Icecast/Players would be an appropriate place to
start such a table.

I'd recommend to test the usual suspects:
Winamp (all versions, yeah people still use this…), FooBar, XMMS, XMMS2,
MPD, vlc, avplay (libav), mplayer, Amarok, web browsers, …
http://icecast.org/apps/#players for a couple more.

I'm sure we'd find a couple offenders in there. Famously Chrome (blink)
is still broken on chained Ogg, including Opus.

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM, "Thomas B. Rücker" <thomas at ruecker.fi
> <mailto:thomas at ruecker.fi>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/21/2014 01:45 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
>     > Logs indicate everything's running correctly, my player says I'm
>     > connected, and the Web page for the server says it's playing files,
>     > but there's no audio. Strange. Any thoughts?
>
>     Which player are you using? If it's not a web browser, then most
>     desktop
>     players are notoriously horrible at content-type sensing (they ignore
>     HTTP headers and go for "file extension"), so make sure your
>     mountpoint
>     name ends in ".ogg".
>
>     > Did I possibly convert
>     > the MP3's to Ogg Vorbis incorrectly?
>
>     Do the files play back directly fine? e.g. using ogg123, vlc, or
>     avplay

Cheers

Thomas