[Icecast] Hiccup on streaming

dragonauta dragonauta.x at gmail.com
Fri May 23 23:10:38 UTC 2014

Thanks Thomas

> On 05/23/2014 06:55 PM, dragonauta wrote:
> > Hi all, this is my first time on this list.
> > I have a very basic icecast2 server installed from Ubuntu repository.
> > It's running on a linux Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS with an Athlon 64 X2
> > 5200+.
> > This linux box is at a Community FM Radio Station.
> >
> > We installed a radio automatization software called "Radit".
> > Radit is developed by a spanish guy and runs very well. It's open
> > source and multi-platform.
> >
> > Radit is a four program combo: an automatizer, an encoder, a weather
> > reporter (get humidity, temp,etc) and a playing grid.
> > Sorry if I can't describe exactly, english is not my main language.
> >
> > The encoder uses mp3, ogg and aac+, with bitrates from 32 to 320.
> >
> > The problem is that we have some hiccups on the streaming.
> > Example, lets say we listen the phrase: "this is my black pencil"
> > on the streaming we hear:"this...ak pencil"
>
> To get a better idea of where that happens you should check if this
> "skipping" is the same for all listeners, if yes, then it comes from the
> source client, if not it is something between icecast and the listener
> client.

We tried with muses.org (radio player online) and TuneIn from diferent
locations, even with differents ISP.
Using PC and android smartphone.
Also tested with vlc

If you anyone wants to check:
Look at TuneIn for "Radio Barriletes"
Our player (muses): http://barriletes.org.ar/radio1.html
And direct access: http://radiobarriletes.sytes.net:8000/barriletes.mp3

I didn't tested on site, through lan, because I'm not at that location
right now. It's a test I want to perform.

> > I didn't play much with config, just changed user, password and host
> > The encoder is pointing to localhost and I've tried every combination
> > of mp3,ogg and aac+ with different bitrates.
> > We hear hiccups all the time from internet (it's not the buffering
> > hold, that is normal).
> >
> > I've checked PC, everything is normal. I didn't have yet the chance to
> > listen from same lan.
> > Maybe someone can point me right direction.
>
> It could be that the source client skips for some reason, e.g. because
> of CPU load. This can easily happen also on a multi-CPU system if the
> encoding is single threaded and saturates the core on which it's running.
>
> Linux top shows this
Tasks: 174 total,   2 running, 172 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 27.5%us,  6.8%sy,  0.0%ni, 65.1%id,  0.4%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.2%si,
 0.0%st
Mem:   1931676k total,  1650232k used,   281444k free,   468284k buffers
Swap:  2095100k total,   108644k used,  1986456k free,   890236k cached

 1918 operador  20   0  543m  70m  21m S   14  3.7   5401:22 Radit
 1904 operador  20   0  268m  20m  13m S    6  1.1   2804:29 raditcast
 1739 operador   9 -11  180m 6724 4644 S    4  0.3   2105:52 pulseaudio
24929 operador  20   0  4460 1924  744 S    4  0.1  11:31.26 lame

Radit its the automatizer, raditcast is the wrapper that uses lame to
encode and makes connection to icecast2

> I don't have an immediate idea where your problem could be coming from,
> so it's important to go step by step and rule out each part. It might
> help to look at all possible logging, both on the source and on the
> icecast (error.log) side.
>
> I looked at logs, everything looks normal. Logs are in level 3 (should I
turn debug on?)

> Good luck fixing your issue!
>
> Thomas

Thank you again