[Icecast] dynamic source creation?

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Sun Jun 8 18:36:32 UTC 2014

On 06/08/2014 06:11 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2014, uno wrote:
>
>> now that i have dynamic source auth working fine, i wonder if it's possible
>> to also create a souce dynamically, i.e. without defining a specific
>> mount in icecast.xml? I've seen some hints, but havn't found it in the
>> docs. tips appreciated, thanks,
> To do this, you need to use the global source password specified in the
> config file.  You just use that password and specify the mountpoint in
> the client.

That's the "quick and dirty" option.

> I'm not aware of any way to do global source auth that would allow for
> separate passwords for dynamic mount creation, but I'm also not really
> aware of a use case for this either.

This was already in 2.3.3, you can just use stream_auth
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.0/icecast2_auth.html (scroll to the
bottom)

You can combine this with: default mount
Sorry, no official docs. Seems to have slipped through. But the Original
ticket has enough info:
https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1914#comment:1
Start with <mount type="default">
In this case the <mount>-block MUST NOT contain a <mount-name>!

If you do this, you can basically do most things outside of Icecast to
manage authentication and a few other things. Pretty powerful features.

Cheers

Thomas