[Icecast] What HTML5 radio player do you use ?

"Rücker, Thomas" thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Wed Mar 6 11:45:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 05/03/13 16:36, michel memeteau wrote:
> Hi , We think about updating our current flash based player [1] to a
> HTML5 one that would magically work on any mobile or desktop browser
> (So with flash fallback)  to play our icecast streams ( MP3 + OGG [2] )
>
> It would be great if the stream could start instantly.

Most browsers should support your use-case already.
Just go with the HTML5 draft:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-content-0.html#the-audio-element

So something like this should work:
   <audio autoplay controls>
     <source src='http://www.radiogalere.org:8080/galere.ogg'
type='audio/ogg; codecs="vorbis"' >
     <source src='http://www.radiogalere.org:8080/galere.mp3'
type='audio/mpeg; codecs="vorbis"' >
   </audio>

Actually I tested this with Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE10.
Opera didn't like to autoplay for unknown reasons.
And only IE needed the crappy mp3 stream fallback, so essentially you're
able to reach the main market share of desktop browsers already with
just a vorbis stream without having to worry about a licensed mp3
encoder etc.

For reference here's my test setup:
http://www.bfst.de/foss/icecast/firefox/galere.html
This URL will become invalid at some point in the near future.

> What do you use currently to achieve this ?
A plain and up to date web browser. ;)

Welcome to the brave new world of streaming, without the need for
installing obscure plugins or running insecure java or flash applets.

Cheers

Thomas