[Icecast] Sporadic Issues

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:48:49 UTC 2013

The problem is not icecast streaming, its trying to stream through a
browser. It is very complicated to do. Each browser has it quirks
depending on OS, version and what other audio programs that are
installed.   Having the external player link should resolve the
issues. We gotten from using a browser player to letting the customer
choose there fave audio player to use :)  Even this has cause issues
with some browser configurations.  Life would been allot easyer if
everyone choose he same formats but how do we find out which is best
:)

 My suggestion for people using safari on windows is to install
Quicktime if not installed, that most of the time fixes that issue.
Or have them change to another browser.

  But still programs like Windows Media Player, WinAmp, and Quicktime
work much easyer for everyone to play audio thru.

 Then now, are you thinking about mobile devices?  Luckily that little
easyer to work with since there are only a few platforms to work with
not the 40 or 50 for computer users.

I find Icecast is a very good server program, The only drawback I have
with it there only a few source clients that can connect to it. We
have had servers running for probably 5 years now, with very little
down time cause by icecast issues, We have had lot more due to
internet.

David