[Icecast] iOS and authenticated streams

Jay Wineinger jay.wineinger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 04:18:57 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I've setup a mount with URL authentication.  This works perfectly from a
desktop machine using Chrome or VLC.  I've previously used public streams
from iOS played through mobile chrome or safari (and others have used the
Radio Box app), which also worked perfectly.   However, when I load an
stream that requires authentication on mobile Chrome, it prompts me for the
credentials but then gives me a "Failed download" error page once I enter
them.  Mobile safari is no better, nor are any mobile apps I can find.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this, knows a reason this might
be, or any way to get authenticated streams to work on an iOS device.
 Seems strange to me that a basic auth requirement would break the ability
of these things to play the stream.

thanks!
Jay