[Icecast] Icecast Startup Failed

Rücker Thomas thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Thu Aug 16 10:10:40 UTC 2012

Hi Johanes,

On 16/08/12 11:32, Johanes Kunto wrote:
> I have installed icecast2 use the standard Ubuntu installation
> (apt-get install icecast2). I also have configured # Edit
> /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml (only to change the passwords) and change
> "ENABLE=true" in  /etc/default/icecast2.

That sounds correct.

> My question :
> When I tried to start Icecast (sudo /etc/init.d/icecast2 start), I
> always get problem :
> # Starting icecast2: Starting icecast2
> # Detaching from console
> # icecast2.
> # Server startup failed. Existing

Our current error handling before log files are open isn't good, yeah.
We're working on that for 2.4.

> I tried to solve this problem using "killall icecast2" / "kill
> icecast2", also changed port into another number (4000, 6000, etc).
> Unfortunately I still have same problem. When I looked inside
>  /var/log/icecast2, there is no error log.

sounds like it fails while parsing config or opening log files. Likely
the former.

> What should I do to fix regarding issue?

Please make sure that the config file is not malformed accidentally.
An easy way to check for things is to run:
xmllint --noout /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml

If it just returns to the prompt, then the XML is correct.
If you see an error message you'll need to have a look at the file.
Error messages are only hints and the actual problem can be a few lines
away.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if it does.

Cheers

Thomas