[Icecast] two *independ* shoutcast listeners

Thomas.Rucker at tieto.com Thomas.Rucker at tieto.com
Fri May 27 10:52:40 UTC 2011

Hi,

*snip*

This seems to be a misunderstanding of how Icecast works.

Icecast allows for a multitude of parallel streams. This concept is called 'mount points'.
Cf. http://liveice.sourceforge.net/understanding.html - second figure.

Now let's proceed to the second item:
Shoutcast compatibility mode. This was introduced so that if you for some reason can't use a proper icecast source client (that preferably would stream vorbis), you can still broadcast to a Icecast mount point.

So all a <shoutcast-mount> enabled port does is that it wraps whatever comes in on it onto the select mount point.

And now the IMPORTANT part:
When it comes to the _ordinary_ ports, Icecast exposes all mountpoints on all of them!
To make this more clear also the other way around: when it comes to the listener side then the ports on which a certain mount-point is available can NOT be restricted.

This is no problem as, if necessary, the web interface listing all mounts can be either removed or you can duplicate the xsl file and restrict the respectively visible mount points.
As to the admin interface: all mount specific functions are available using the mount specific authentication data (cf. Icecast documentation). The admin credentials don't have to be exposed to anyone else than the person running the server.

Hope that helps.

Thomas