[Icecast] Icecast2 Station with multiple scheduled DJs?

Patrick Bohnet hquu at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 02:27:34 UTC 2010

I ended up solving the problem with liquidsoap and two icecast servers.

I have an "internal" icecast server that has 10 mount points... one for each DJ
with a limit of three listeners on each mount point. A DJ can connect early and
do sound balancing and checks before hand

I then have a liquidsoap script that listens to each of the 10 internal mount
points, and rebroadcasts one of them to the external "public" icecast server
mount point. This switchboard script also has an internal "jukebox" that it
kicks in when no DJ is playing, or if a DJ drops signal automatically... all
with out any interuption to the external listener. The switchboard script has a
bunch of other features, but its main job was to "switch" between the private
streams based on a file that is changed, and provide backup music if anything
faltered. The switching of the file was handled by an external php based program
and website, so could be integrated into any solution basically.

it could technically be run from a single ice cast server, or from multiple
shoutcast servers... the switchboard script did not care... it had N amount of
sources, a shell script that told it which of the sources was "live", a backup
smart play list of music if nobody was live or someone dropped, and a target to
rebroadcast to.

 "Can I burn softly, a silent ember?"
Quu
Patrick Bohnet