[Icecast] Who sets the mount point?

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 01:18:40 UTC 2009

This is what i found out in use with the icecast servers.

Mounts Can be made by each  of the following:

1> The icecast.xml file define a mount with a username/password for
this mount. Since most our broadcaster using edcast to broadcast the
username is set to source.

2> The use of the global  source password can create a dynamic mount.

  But, the best way is to define it in the icecast.xml file by the
mount. By using the method 2 to create a new mount that is not
defined, will cause relaying not to happen.

We current create a mount, and assign a password to the mount for each
of out broadcasters.  We also, defined mounts without passwords for in
house streams using the source password.

I cant say much for shoutcast mounts we don't use them.

basicly, the source password can be used when ther mount has not been
assigned a password in the icecast.xml file.

So I guess the answer to your questions is, the icecast/xml is the
preferred method of setting the mount and password :)

david