[Icecast] Who sets the mount point?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Oct 28 00:49:57 UTC 2009

On 27/10/09 23:48, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 02:49:18PM -0700, Eric Kolotyluk wrote:
>> Sorry for what seems like a real newbie question, but who actually sets
>> the mount point? Is it the client/source, the icecast.xml file, or both?
>
> As I understand it, a source client has to specify a mount point when it
> connects.
>
> If that mount point was already specified in the icecast server config,
> then the associated mount options will be applied.
>
> If the client specified mount point was not previously known to icecast,
> then a new mount point with the name given by the source client is
> created.

Dynamic allocation of mountpoint names is not done.

When using a native icecast source client (edcast can be configured for
that) then a mountpoint is supplied by the source client and icecast
uses that to lookup the authentication details and any other mount
settings.

When using a shoutcast style source client, then it does not send a
mountpoint so icecast assumes one based upon the incoming port (actually
2 sequential ports). 2.3.1 only allowed one of these clients to connect
at any one time (and used the global shoutcast-mount setting and 2
listen-socket sections), but 2.3.2 allows for several as long as they
are on different ports (shoutcast-mount in the listen-socket). eg

<listen-socket>
     <port>8000</port>
     <shoutcast-mount>/myfirststream</shoutcast-mount>
</listen-socket>

<listen-socket>
     <port>9000</port>
     <shoutcast-mount>/mysecondstream</shoutcast-mount>
</listen-socket>

The mount tags we ship are commented out in the examples
<!-- ignored --> they are just there to help in showing you want can be
done.  There does not need to be a <mount> section but if it's there
then those settings (if present) are applied, a typical one used is
<max-listeners>

karl.