[Icecast] schedule a fallback and / 2 sources streaming at 1 server ???

David Baelde david.baelde at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 11:20:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Dick Trump <dtrump1 at triadav.com> wrote:
> kosnickx wrote:
>> But there is one thing : while falling back from one mount point to
>> another it takes about 10 to 15 seconds. Does this happen to you too? Is
>> there any way to reduce this to minimum or to 0 if possible.

I've been wanting to advise you to give liquidsoap a try since the
beginning of this thread. Now I'm decided.

As long as you're happy with icecast-level fallbacks, it's cool, since
it does not put any constraint on your source clients. Maybe you're
tied to particular source clients for functionalities or availability
on Windows. But that solution has some limitations as you noticed: the
listeners can hear it, and the transition is not very smooth. If you
want to do better, you need to use a tool for that.

Liquidsoap [1] is a solution: it's a source client that can relay
other source clients, and manage a fallback between them, possibly
with transitions. Then liquidsoap creates the stream and sends it to
icecast, it's seamless for the listener. And in case you don't _need_
to have two separate source clients, let me precise that the fallback,
like any other operation in liquidsoap, works as well with source
clients than with internal sources such as playlists.

Feel free to ask on savonet-users at lists.sf.net if you have any questions.

Cheers,
--
David