[Icecast] Icecast 2.3.1 crash

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Oct 17 00:28:17 UTC 2007

Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I woke up this morning to find out that Icecast 2.3.1 running under
> Ubuntu Feisty had crashed or otherwise terminated.  I don't know why,
> but I've got a theory.
>
> I'm currently trying to get a streamer working properly.  At times it
> goes into a state when it connects very briefly then disconnects again.
> This of course generates a lot of connects and disconnects and may have
> overloaded some stats value.

I doubt that the stats would of done that but obviously there's nothing
much to go on. The looping of connect/disconnect could of tripped over a
bug but it depends on many factors like was it a shoutcast-style source
client (there have been fixes for those), was any data sent at all etc.

> When I went to investigate this possibility however, not only did I not
> understand much of the code, but I also noticed that Icecast 2.3.1 is
> nearly 2 years old and that there have been numerous bugfixes committed
> to SVN since then.  So perhaps whatever caused the crash has been fixed
> already.
>
> Are there any plans to release a new version anytime soon?

I've tried to keep most of the changes at least bugfix related, so I
don't see why we could not do a 2.3.2 release soon. There are some doc
updates to do (what fun!) and I'm waiting on some feedback for some
changes I wanted to verify but feel free to try out the code and report
back.

As mentioned, svn access is available but if you want a tarball to try
out then check the nightly tarballs on
http://people.xiph.org/~brendan/snapshots/icecast/

karl.