[Icecast] multiple users - auth'd source?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Apr 26 13:57:49 UTC 2007

Charlie Allom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to bring up an Icecast service for users of a free & paid
> subscription system.
>
> Paid users can source a stream. Free signups can listen (auth) to the
> paid user's streams.
>
> My user data is in LDAP mainly, but I have a URI that returns
> "icecast-auth-user: 1" when passed the user= and pass= variables on the
> HTTP GET.

minor point, it's HTTP POST

> AFAICT - the source password has to be specified under
> 	<mount>
> 		<password>
>
> and the listening auth can be dynamic with
> 	  <authentication type="url">

correct.

> So I envisage a regular dump from LDAP to the XML config file - but can
> I add an "include" and HUP the server to see the new credentials? Can
> someone tell me if this is much easier or harder than what I'm thinking?

Hmm, not sure in xml provides an include option and whether libxml2 will
handle it, it's not something I've looked into, but if it does then HUP
should work, and for 2.3.1, the new auth should apply for new listeners.

There is another possibility which might be easier. In the -kh branch,
where I have an updated auth engine, you can specify an option
"stream_auth" with a uri that works in a similar way to the others. It's
triggered when a source client tries to auth or when say metadata is
updated on that stream.  I haven't had much feedback on this but it
seems to be working well enough.

karl.