[Icecast] Icecast usability

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Oct 13 14:06:34 UTC 2006

Tor Berg wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are looking for a product that applies to this specs.
>
> 1) We need to allow different users / departments access to upload
> Audio and Video files for streaming
> 2) We need to comply with MPEG4 and MP3. And that playing does not
> require a specific player (we can accept Windows Media Player,
> QuickTime, iTunes, Winamp)
> 3) We want users to be able to organise their material - and that m3u
> lists and RSS (podcast/Vodcast) can be created per 'playlist'
> 4) We would like to install the server on a Mac OS X server
>
> Can Icast do all this, maybe by adding some 3rd part apps or something?
Your requirements sound like you're searching for an on-demand content
delivery system.
In my opinion Icecast is not the ideal solution in this situation.
Icecast is designed towards live-streaming. Static file delivery was
never its strong side. (Apache is much better at that anyway)

I think we had a similar discussion earlier and someone recommended
jinzora. You might want to check that out.

Cheers

Thomas