[Icecast] Ices 0.4 ices.cue file error

Steven Kiehl nanovox at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:05:10 UTC 2006

After several days of uninterupted operation (about 4 or 5 days I believe),
ices-0.4 starts to return this error countless times:

"Could not open cuefile [/tmp/ices.cue] for writing, cuefile not updated"

This error eventually causes the stream to misreport the name of the
currently playing song.  Instead of reporting the current song, it reports
the song found in the now defunct cue file.  I would have thought with the
perl module that ices would talk to the perl module to get the currently
playing song instead of using a cue file.

After restarting ices, the problem goes away for a few days.  I find that a
higher listener count causes the problem to occur more frequently.  After 2
listeners tune in for a short time and then one listener remains tuned in
for 5 hours or more, the problem will occur after just one or two days.

The cue file is perfectly fine, but something in the mechanics of Ices seems
to cause it to trip over itself.

Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps there's a solution to it?

Thanks,

Steve