[Icecast] Winamp v5.22 / oddcast / aac+

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed May 31 02:25:54 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if this is an icecast issue or oddcast issue or both, but
the latest Winamp (v5.22) is not now playing AAC+ streams encoded with
Oddcast.  Winamp v5.21 and earlier versions work fine.  This may be some
attempt by Winamp developers to force people to use Shoutcast, or to
prevent oddcast from using their enc_aacplus.dll.

Right, just took some time to set up the Shoutcast DSP to encode AAC+
and send it to an Icecast server.  This is working and playing in Winamp
v5.22.  So it appears to be an Oddcast encoding issue.

You may need to do some analysis Oddsock to see if you can duplicate the
Shoutcast DSP output byte for byte to get around this blocking they seem
to be doing.

Nullsoft must think they are big enough now to enforce their ideals on
their customers.  In the meantime, I'm considering removing Winamp from
my list of compatible players on my website.  They can use Windows Media
Player, XMPlay, Foobar2000, etc.

Regards,
Ross.