[Icecast] multichannel streaming

dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri May 19 07:44:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 07:30:54AM +0000, Georg Holzmann wrote:
> >So I'd rather look in direction of some client that is capable of
> >http authentication and can send range requests and a server that
> >understands
> >those. You'll have static files anyway so no need to make them into live
> >streams...
> hm ... what do you mean exactly ... something like Jinzora (as Mark
> suggested) ?
I don't know how jinzora handles things. IOW what happens if you push
the fast forward button in your client or skip 2min ahead right away.
My Idea would be the client requests another part of the file, thus
reducing bandwith usage and speeding things up. (instead of downloading
the whole file)
Most http servers support this requests (they are needed for resume
download feature) I'm not sure about client software. This will
need things like guessing bitrate on vbr files etc.

Cheers

Thomas