[Icecast] Help with streaming audio...

Scott R Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 18 03:07:23 UTC 2006

Quoting "Ian A. Underwood" <agentgrn at dcne.net>:

> Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
>> I recently installed Icecast2 on my XP Home Laptop.   My goal is to get the
>> audio from my vhf/uhf scanner, whose audio out is connected to the
>> laptop's mic
>> port, out as a stream so I can listen to it when away from home (like from
>> work).
>>
>> I can hear the scanner fine through the laptop's speakers, but although I've
>> read the documentation for the Icecast2 server configuration, I'm still not
>> sure how to pipe the scanner audio to a form[at] IC2 can use.  Then, how to
>> configure the IC2 config file to tell IC2 to send the audio out onto the
>> Internet.
>>
>> The install of the IC2 server under XP was flawless, whereas I had
>> problems with
>> a Debian install, of which I also have experience.
>>
>> So, if anyone can help me get my scanner's audio successfully out on
>> an Internet
>> stream, please show me the way.   Windows or Linux, whatever works.
>
> You still need a program which can take the audio, encode it, and
> send it to Icecast.  You can use Oddcast in standalone mode to make
> this happen.

Great!   I grabbed and configured it.   I was still hoping Icecast would
magically see it, but I continue to be unable to connect to the audio stream
from another machine on my lan.   The config file for IC2 is not complicated,
but there are clearly some other pieces I am missing :-(

I was able to monitor some of the audio level, which is certainly a good sign!

Other leads to complete the project...

Thanks again.

Scott