[Icecast] Speex (source) client?

William K. Volkman wkvsf at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 13 04:39:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 18:55 -0700, William K. Volkman wrote:
> 	On the announcement page for Icecast 2.3 it mentions
> "Streaming support for ogg speex, ogg flac, ogg midi".
> I've googled around and not found any free clients that
> support streaming speex.  I looked at svn for libshout2 and
> it doesn't seem to support speex and skimming through
> the list archives I only see mention of speex last February,
> which seemed to indicate it would be supported soon.
> Any update?  Should I be looking in a particular branch
> of svn?

OK, so a "don't be fooled by the SHOUT_FORMAT_VORBIS symbol"
would have helped.   It appears that .spx files are .ogg files
by another name.  Of course when I first tried it I was
surprised that my 10Mb file kept reloading every second with
both ezstream and oggfwd.  The 4Mb Theora test file was taking
about 15 seconds (about 1/2 the duration of the video).
After noticing that nothing was really reporting an error (and
after hacking my own client to send, and having all the bytes
reported sent)  I tried connecting via Windows Media Player
and it worked, kinda (see below).

I'm having difficulty in locating a linux client which can
process the stream (RealPlayer/HelixPlayer report unknown
codec).  It took a bit to find the xmms-speex plugin, xmms
won't play the url however mplayer using the xmms-speex plugin
will playback the .spx file.  However pointing mplayer
at the icecast mount point results in a crash.  So far
no luck. Any suggestion here would be appreciated.

On Windows XP SP2 with the Direct Show drivers downloaded
from:
http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/oggcodecs_0.69.8924.exe

I'm hearing weird background sqeaking/distortion, any
suggestions for this?  FYI, I had upgraded to speex 1.1.10,
should I down grade to 1.0.5?

Thanks for any hints.

William.