[Icecast] Client has fallen too far behind

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed May 11 00:54:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 23:05, Anatol wrote:

> Hm ... the two servers are in the same rack. From the one  there is no
> problem to recive data and the other has the troubles. The connection
> can't be the bottle neck.  The MP3 s seams to be ok.  The ices.log  told
> me nothing about an error with the MP3-Files. The only entry I found was:
> "Error during send: Libshout reported send error, disconnecting: Socket
> error"
> But I can't relate this message  to the "to far behind"-Mesage. There
> are different timestamps.

The message you refer to above is the source client to icecast
connection, caused by icecast terminating the connection, probably due
to a timeout (ie no stream data received for a certain amount of time eg
10 secs).   That could be down to network outage, another possibility is
that the filename selection may be taking too long eg if a script is
used to find the next file to play, a slow or stalled script could
prevent data being sent.

When no data comes into icecast, then the trigger for kicking off
listeners is not enabled so you must have data coming in and the socket
is in use, as your listeners are being dropped.  So you look to be
having more than 1issue.

You need to focus on why the listening clients are lagging behind, if
you download the stream like you would a file, does it maintain a
bitrate required of the stream. If that is not being achieved then it's
either link saturation (max bandwidth) or errors (eg duplex mismatch)

karl.