[Icecast] Client has fallen too far behind

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue May 10 21:37:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 22:23, Anatol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a little bit trouble. I've set up an icecast 2.2.0 and an ices 0.4
> system. Every song, sometimes every two songs my playler lost the
> connection to the stream and in DEBUG-Mode I found a logfileentry like:
> DBUG source/send_to_listener Client has fallen too far behind, removing.
>
> I changed the queue-size in icecast.xml from 102400 to 902400 (don't
> know if it is a good value) but the only result is the interrupt occur
> some songs later.

Increasing the value is not a problem. It just allows for more lag with
the listeners before kicking them off (fallen too far behind)

> I'm realy confused, cause it is not my first icecast-setup and on an
> other server I've installed the same: Icecast 2.1.0 (ok nearly the same)
> and ices.0.4. The config-files are the same.
>
> The main difference is a newer OS. On the working system it is SuSE 8.2
> and on the failing system there is a SuSE 9.1 OS installed. Could that
> be the problem?
> I can't believe it!
>
> Any idea what I can do to solve the problem or what could the reason for it?

The problem is the icecast to listener connection, for some reason the
connection is not able to maintain the stream bitrate to that listener.
The reasons can vary from bad network connection, latency being too high
for the TCP settings, proxies getting in the way or just congestion.

karl.