[Icecast] icecast & china

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Wed May 11 04:16:46 UTC 2005

hello list

I'm preparing to do a sound project in china where I hope to broadcast
an mp3 stream using Icecast2. I've set up test system (outside China)
and it seems to be working happily (using Pd to generate audio and the
extension "shoutcast~" to stream to the icecast server).

I've asked a few people in china to tune into these broadcasts and have
run into problems. Elsewhere in the world people can connect. Firstly,
it seems dynamic domain names, such as *.dyndns.org, are blocked in
china. To get around that I sent an IP address instead. A url like:
http://ipaddress:7000/streamname.m3u

They could connect with this and were registered in the access log, but
their connections dropped almost instantly.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about streaming into China or
within it? Anything I can try?

I've also run icecast on port 8000 with the same results.

cheers,

Iain