[icecast] Legality Issue & Relaying

Michael Hobbs mhobbs812 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:39:52 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I'm planning to get a stream running in the next month or two, and
will be using ices and icecast.

Legality:
Further to the last couple of posts regarding legality issue. I notice
that the PRC do their licence cost on a percentage of your revenue,
seeing as I plan to host no adverts or indeed any commercial aspect I
hope to get a licence without actually paying anything. (I've sent
them an inoccous email so we'll see what they say)

Relaying:
Unless you get a business connection in the UK standard upload is
generally 256Kbps regardless of your download rate (hence the
Asynchronous bit in ADSL). I plan to use my brother's and parents
internet connections at their respective houses as relays for the
stream to enable more bandwidth for my listeners to enjoy a smoother
stream. A question regarding this, can you use a single address (i.e
as a link on a webpage) to balance the load between the various
realys, or would you have to have separate addresses (similar to
http/ftp mirrors)?
I wonder if the former could be achieved with a "round-robin" set-up
in the DNS server, whereby a single name resolves to different ip
addresses sequentially, it would look something like this on the DNS
server for example.com:

mystation        0         IN         A        192.168.0.1
mystation        0         IN         A        192.168.20.1
mystation        0         IN         A         62.78.23.7

Above ^ first request made to mystation.example.com would resolve to
192.168.0.1, second to 192.168.20.1, third to 62.78.23.7, forth to
192.168.0.1 - In my mind I think this would work, has anyone tried it,
has anyone got a simpler solution perhaps?

Thanks,
Bizza