[icecast] Legality Issue & Relaying

Robert Muchnick hostmaster at xenterra.net
Fri May 6 16:01:12 UTC 2005

If you are using BIND, your supposition is correct about load balancing.
>From the BIND manual:

3.2. Load Balancing

A primitive form of load balancing can be achieved in the DNS by using
multiple A records for one name.

For example, if you have three WWW servers with network addresses of
10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3, a set of records such as the following
means that clients will connect to each machine one third of the time:

Name	TTL	CLASS	TYPE	Resource Record (RR) Data
www	600	IN	A	10.0.0.1
 	600	IN 	A	10.0.0.2
 	600	IN 	A	10.0.0.3

When a resolver queries for these records, BIND will rotate them and
respond to the query with the records in a different order. In the example
above, clients will randomly receive records in the order 1, 2, 3; 2, 3,
1; and 3, 1, 2. Most clients will use the first record returned and
discard the rest.

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Michael Hobbs wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm planning to get a stream running in the next month or two, and
> will be using ices and icecast.

<< >>