[Icecast] Winamp 0% Buffering mp3 streams

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:09:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:31:26 +0100, Kai Schaetzl
<maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Geoff Shang wrote on Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:24:25 +1000:
>
> > but if you enable file serving, you can put anything in the
> > webroot (as defined in your config file) and Icecast will serve it like a
> > webserver.
> >

> Ah, I see. I was indeed wondering if that could do what I was looking for,
> but I couldn't find anything about the fileserve in the documentation other
> than that short sentence in the config file explanation. Thanks!
> I was also wondering if I could just use Apache to distribute static files.
> It seems in a nutshell the Icecast server is more or less a normal http
> server, just that it accepts an extra SOURCE command and provides buffering.

Yes, you can use apache instead of icecast's fileserving. Indeed, I'd
strongly recommend it if you want to do any significant amount of file
serving. Icecast's ability to do this is primarily so that it can
serve up files as part of the admin and stats interfaces, and also to
provide a simple alternative for people who aren't already running a
seperate web server.

Mike