[Icecast] Mountpoint problems...

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Thu Mar 10 05:36:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

Ok.  clarification of terms here.

A mountpoint is simply what is used to differenciate one stream from
another.  It doesn't physically exist until it is created by a source
connecting to it, and unless you want to handle it differently from any
other mountpoint, there's no need to define it anywhere except in the
source client.

Here's an example (a simple one).  You and I have ownership in a co-located
machine on a big pipe somewhere.  We decide that we both want to stream
audio from that machine.  Since we both administer it, there's no harm in
us both knowing the main source password.  So I configure my source to
broadcast to ourserver.com port 8000 on mountpoint /mystation.ogg and you
broadcast to ourserver.com:8000/yourstation.ogg.  These mounts are created
when each of us connects and people can connect to them to hear the
particular stream that's associated with them.

Note that you can set up mounts with different passwords or other
parameters, check out the <mount> section in the sample configuration for
more details, but it's only necessary to have a <mount> section if you
actually want any of these features.

the webroot directory is used for serving stats pages and also for serving
any other content if you have fileserve enabled.  So if you put logo.png in
your webroot directory, you can call it with http://server:port/logo.png

Hope this helps with the terms.

As for your broadcasts, perhaps begin by telling us exactly what you're
trying to achieve and we'll take it from there.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html