[Icecast] IceCast 2.2 MP3 stream and Real Player noise

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Fri Jun 3 18:33:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 17:38, Greg wrote:
> Just checked using RealPlayer Windows 10.5 latest release.
> This also glitches.

does that mean earlier version had the problem as well ?

> This is more than likely due to the differences in metadata between
> SHOUTcast and Icecast2.

>From a quick test, it looks like realplayer is requesting metadata and
is getting an interval of 16000.  As mike said, real player may be
having problems with this

> This is exactly the reason I was asking for the exact differences between
> the protocols so I can help get these things fixed with the player folks.

if it is metadata related then the player should be reading the 16000
figure returned from the server and check that many bytes of mp3. If
real is assuming say 8192 (is shoutcast fixed at that?) then that would
cause playback problems.

by all means try changing the setting in format_mp3.c
#define ICY_METADATA_INTERVAL 16000

The trunk code does allow of overriding it in the XML. In <mount> state

 <mp3-metadata-interval>8192</mp3-metadata-interval>

> Real is not the only player with this problem.

Who else is ?

> I may be in the AAC/aacPlus camp, but I can and will help with these issues.
> I have many ears right about now, and I would really like to see Icecast2
> properly supported.

The default can be changed to 8192 easily enough but if there is some
parsing issue with real then that would be useful to know.

I suspect that for some reason the real player is ignoring the
icy-metaint header causing the playback problem.

karl.