[Icecast] IceCast 2.2 MP3 stream and Real Player noise

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 18:42:33 UTC 2005

On 03 Jun 2005 19:33:21 +0100, Karl Heyes <karl at xiph.org> wrote:
> > I may be in the AAC/aacPlus camp, but I can and will help with these issues.
> > I have many ears right about now, and I would really like to see Icecast2
> > properly supported.
>
> The default can be changed to 8192 easily enough but if there is some
> parsing issue with real then that would be useful to know.

We might need to have a black-list of broken players, where we fall
back to very basic behaviour - using the shoutcast default here, and
probably disabling some other functionality. We don't want to change
global defaults just because one client is broken - that way lies
madness.

> I suspect that for some reason the real player is ignoring the
> icy-metaint header causing the playback problem.

Obviously not ignoring it entirely, but possibly just triggering off
the presence/absence of this header, rather than parsing it.

Mike