[Icecast] IceCast 2.2 MP3 stream and Real Player noise

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:11:09 UTC 2005

On 6/3/05, Greg <greg at indexcom.com> wrote:
> Just checked using RealPlayer Windows 10.5 latest release.
> This also glitches.
> This is more than likely due to the differences in metadata between
> SHOUTcast and Icecast2.
> This is exactly the reason I was asking for the exact differences between
> the protocols so I can help get these things fixed with the player folks.
> Real is not the only player with this problem.
> I may be in the AAC/aacPlus camp, but I can and will help with these issues.
> I have many ears right about now, and I would really like to see Icecast2
> properly supported.

We only send mp3 metadata when it's explicitly requested by the
client, and we implement the same protocol as shoutcast. The only
difference I know of is that we have a different default metadata
interval. Since that metadata interval is signalled to the client as a
pretty core part of the protocol, it'd be somewhat astounding if Real
managed to screw it up.

Mike