[Icecast] video streaming

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Mon Jul 25 23:18:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 10:19:51PM +0200, Balint Jacint wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're planning to launch a video stream.
> We do not have anything yet (no camera, no computer, no software, only a
> Linux server that will do the broadcasting with icecast installed).
> Has anyone ever done such a thing?

Yes!

> What hardware do you suggest? What

I've used several miniDV camcorders with ieee1394 outputs and an ~2GHz
laptop. Not sure if I would recommend this, but it has worked for me so
far.

> software can be used (both for Linux and Windows on source side). Can

I've heard flumotion and vlc/vls can do this job, but I haven't used
them, yet.

> Icecast be used for this video streaming purpose (on server side)? If

yup.

> yes, what additional packages are needed to be installed (using Debian
> Sarge). Is Theora ready for usage?

theora works well for me.

> If this is what you suggest, how does
> it work?
> Well I think it's enough of questions for now. :)

We did live video and audio streams of the LAC2005:
http://lac.zkm.de/2005/

The wiki is still up:
http://footils.org/cms/pydiddy/wiki/LinuxAudioConference2005

I've continued using a similar settup to stream meetings hosted here at
RFA. I'm doing another one tomorrow evening.

Basically I get digital video from a camcorder via ieee1394 into a
laptop. Inside the laptop my toolchain is:
dvgrab | ffmpeg2theora | oggfwd

It works fairly reliably. I'm looking for other options, though, so
anything you come up with would be interesting to hear about.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia