[Icecast] Synchronous playback on multiple clients

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Tue Jan 4 15:12:00 UTC 2005

Hi:

This question gets asked every few months or so.

The short answer is no.  Icecast's HTTP streaming is not really designed
for this, it simply goes from start to end as it gets it.

Having said that, it should be possible in theory to use the ogg layer and
some synchronising code to keep players in step with each other, but I've
not heard of anyone doing this.  Note that I'm not a developer, I'm just
thinking about the kinds of things the ogg layer offers and I'd think that
the time offsets available would make this possible.  But all the decoders
would have to be able to sync to a master decoder so that they could keep
in step with it.

Of course the real simple answer to this would be to have only one decoder
and run audio cables or use a transmitter to get the sound to the various
rooms.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html