[Icecast] Any reliable command line clients?

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 18 18:55:47 UTC 2005

Well, I didn't test one of my requirements with mplayer.  http
authentication doesn't seem to work.  This one puzzles me as mplayer
documentation seems to state it is supported.  In fact, running mplayer
results in it telling me to use the -user and -password options or a url
formed like the m3u's delivered by icecast.  Neither works for me.  They
all say:

Authentication required for "Icecast2 Server"
Unable to read the username
Please use the option -user and -passwd to provide your
username/password for a list of URLs,
or form an URL like: http://username:password@hostname/file
Unable to open URL: http://username:password@wknc.org:8000/wkncbackup.ogg

Is anyone else able to make mplayer work with http authentication?  Is
there perhaps some compile option I need to use?  The same thing happen
with the windows binary I downloaded, which I would expect to be
compiled properly.

Any thoughts?  Should I contact the mplayer mailing list?

Thanks,
Joel