[Icecast] Any reliable command line clients?

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 17 17:04:01 UTC 2005

MPlayer was a good suggestion.  I've been using it for days now without
a hitch.  I normally just think of it as a movie player, but it seems
quite good at playing ogg streams too.  It's a slightly larger and more
complicated program than I would prefer for the simple task of playing
ogg streams.  I guess I'd just rather ogg123 work right.  But
nonetheless, mplayer seems quite reliable.  It displays two percentages
that I don't entirely understand.  The first starts at 0, the second at
around 15%.  I'm sure the second is some kind of buffer.  It slowly
dropped from 15 to 0 over a day or so, but then the first number started
climbing.  But after several days, the first number is only at 2%.  I
wonder what will happen when it reaches 100%, but at this rate it will
take a couple months for it to reach it.

Joel