[Icecast] Updating MetaData at the Relay

Ian Andrew Bell hello at ianbell.com
Sat Feb 12 04:21:07 UTC 2005

Now that 2.2.0 is out, we can update metadata on-the-fly.  At
pulverradio.com we are working on an injector that takes the song info
from our broadcast automation software and dumps it in (thanks guys for
the help).  I realize that we can inject the song info like so:

http://server.ip:port/admin/metadata?mount=/
mountpoint&mode=updinfo&song=ACDC+Back+In+Black

.... but are there other attributes, such as Genre, URL, etc. that we
can input at this point?

I still can't find a definitive spec (not anyone on this list's fault)
on what the shoutcast-metadata-protocol even allows, let alone which
verbage is supported by IceCast.

Could it be as simple as:

http://server.ip:port/admin/metadata?mount=/
mountpoint&mode=updinfo&song=ACDC+Back+In+Black&genre=Rock&url=www.pulve
rradio.com

??

The reason this is relevant is our dumb encoders just spew out MP3
streams with no metadata at all.  It would be nice to be able to add
cursory stuff so that we get listed properly on the XIPH yellow pages,
etc.  Also, since we're using flaky DNS-based load balancing on our
streaming network it'd be nice for all of my servers to masquerade as
"radio.pulverradio.com" even though their actual hostname might be
something completely different.

-Ian.