[Icecast] Question about range select for static file serve in icecast

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 10:19:45 UTC 2005

On Wed,  9 Feb 2005 11:15:15 +0100, iceuse <iceuse at wwlang.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm trying to use range in a static file served by icecast 2.2
> I can't find an example of an http request.
> Is something like
> http://my-icecast-server.com:8000/my-static-file.ogg?range=bytes%3D120000-
> correct?
> I can't get that working. Maybe I forgot an option on icecast side.

No. Range is an HTTP header, not a query parameter. Icecast won't
understand that at all (it will ignore the query parameters in this
case).

You can't add HTTP headers just by using a URL, you have to have
support in the application itself.

> I tried to open that file (without range) in winamp 5, but it downloads all the
> file while playing and then, I can move into the downloaded file, but It's not
> what I wanted, because the static file has no end (it is a live dump of a
> stream served by icecast). (although I don't care about winamp, just want to
> know how to send my own http request)

I guess winamp5 doesn't support that, then. Or it might, but it's
being confused by the fact that the file is changing in length - I'd
expect even a client that DOES support seeking through Range requests
to not work correctly when the remote file is dynamically changing.

Mike