[Icecast] Question about range select for static file serve in icecast

Iceuse - Kris iceuse at wwlang.net
Thu Feb 10 07:30:16 UTC 2005

Michael Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:56:08 +0100, iceuse at mail.wwlang.net
><iceuse at mail.wwlang.net> wrote:
>

>>Yes, but in fact I want to write my own client in Java (based on jorbis). So the question become:
>>- is there a restriction on icecast side which may prevent fetching in a file currently growing (I don't think so)?
>>

>Not really... but it's somewhat limited. I just checked, and actually
>icecast has more limited support of Range than I thought.
>
>It only supports the form where you request "everything from this
>point onwards" (for some specified point). The HTTP response given
>will be incorrect if the file is growing - if you ignore the
>content-length header (generally a bad idea) in your client, it might
>work ok. But basically it's really, really not recommended to use
>Range on dynamically changing files.

this is exactly what I need. I don't bother for the length, as I know in
advance what is that file...
this is a great feature : your streams can be delayed for any duration...
(I plan to have daily dumps, so you can have from 24h to a few sec delay)

Otherwise, without range, I'll have to feed the dump into icecast as a
stream with an ices playlist (this worked, but then your're limited to a
particular delay: if your start ices 1hour after begining the dump,
you'll have 1h delay. For multiple delays, you need multiple ices
instances. Too much.).

>>- what I have to put into my http request to fetch the file? i tried adding a range get variable, but i failed.
>>

>I think the header should be something like:
>Range: bytes=10000-
>(to read from 10000 onwards). I haven't checked that, look at the HTTP
>spec to confirm it.

I'll try and tell you the results on the list.

>Mike
>

>p.s. Did you mean to send this to the list?

yes.

regards,
Chris