[Icecast] Authentication questions

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 23:00:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:01:45 +0100, Ron Blok <ronblok at wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi Icecast users,
>
> I'm implementing a stream with authentication.
> The basic's are working :-) like a dream!
> No I am at the point where I need to enter the user information (username
> and password).
> Since I have approx 200 users it would by nice if I could add this users in
> one blow instead of one by one?
> I have the users file available in a spreadsheet format.
> If not I have to do them one by one ......

It would be pretty simple to write a tool to do this, but there's
nothing already existing, as far as I know.
The authentication file format is simple, it's one user per line, formatted as
username:hash
'hash' is the md5 hash of the user's password.

> Furthermore ... The mount I am serving is in the following format /stream2,
> and I am streaming in mp3 format.
> The link I will send to my users is http://streamserver/auth.xsl During the
> test phase I've had complains from users that the stream does not open or
> starts a download. I have seen this before on the "open" streams as well.
> My guess is that it in most cases depends on the users file association. By
> the "open" streams the easy way out is to let the user op the URL directly
> in their player. In the case of the "closed" stream the authentication makes
> things a little bit more difficult.
> Is there a way how I can minimize these issues for instance by changing the
> mountpoint into /stream2.pls or /stream2.m3u or /stream2.mp3 ???
> Or do you have other recommendations ?

If you direct the users to /stream2.m3u, the server will automatically
serve an m3u file pointing the user at the appropriate mountpoint.
That's the recommended way to avoid problems with browsers.

I'm not sure how this interacts with authentication with the common
players, though.

Mike