[Icecast] Cannot build ices0/libshout2 on Mac OSX 10.4.2

sci-fi at hush.ai sci-fi at hush.ai
Sun Dec 11 00:55:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:14:04 -0800 Dan Stowell
<danstowell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm rebuilding my OSX system and I can't get ices0
> to build - or to be more exact, can't get libshout2
> to build.
>
> I started by using DarwinPorts, and icecast2 &
> libogg & libvorbis seemed to build OK. The install
> of ices0 then gave up at the libshout2 config stage
> with output like this:
>
> [...]
> checking for libvorbis... ok
> checking for struct ovectl_ratemanage_arg... no
> configure: error: requisite Ogg Vorbis library not found
>
> Now, I found a thread on this list in July
> describing a similar problem:
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2005-July/009744.html
> - and suggesting that compiling with gcc 4 might be
> the cause. I'm probably compiling with gcc 4 since I
> have the very latest Apple Developer Tools
> installed. Can anyone confirm? Or provide a hint for
> how I might fix this?
>
> (I also tried uninstalling the libraries,
> reinstalling them via fink, and then manually
> building libshout2. Then I failed at the config
> stage, this time ending with checking for
> ogg_sync_init in libogg... configure: error: not
> found, maybe you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> /etc/ld.so.conf
> )
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give -
> Dan

Are you doing your builds with:
./configure
make
sudo make install
?

Just this past week I've rolled my own builds using the
Tiger XCode-2.2 set to specify the 10.4u SDK and gcc-4.
I always begin with the project's latest original tar.gz
files, sometimes needing to get updates via CVS/SVN
(whatever each project uses).

When I am stuck, I sneek into Fink's unstable base/dists
CVS to see how they compiled it.  ;)  But lately it seems
most projects have incorporated whatever patches were
required to make work on OSX, which means Fink and
DarwinPorts themselves are probably way back-level.

Of these Xiph projects, I've just looked at my build dirs
for them, and they all went fine with those three regular
build commands, no special patches or --switches needed.
I did see that these projects have been recently updated,
e.g. libogg is at 1.1.3 now.

I'm not sure if those DarwinPorts pkgs includes the
'-dev' pieces.  I know Fink splits them up: you need the
foo-dev pkg to get the source code headers etc. installed
along with the binary code for foo, to do any further
building on your own.

I think they shouldn't be mixed up, tho, meaning I will
always run my own builds and not use a Fink/DarwinPorts
pkg to get a missing piece.  I'd much rather find the
original source for a missing piece and build it myself.

I know most ppl like the ease of installing prebuilt
pkgs, but those are usually not the latest stable versions
available at each project (forget how Fink classifies
them, for ex. libogg-1.1.3 has some needed fixes for what
Fink has available).

Plus, I am experimenting with gcc tuning for cpu=7450 and
auto-vectorizing (automatically sensing how to use Altivec
without writing special C/asm code <g>).

I'd say try building these Xiph projects straight from
their latest tar.gz files, and see how it goes.

p.s. when I say you don't need special --switches on the
./configure step, you still might want to see if you need
them.  For ices-0.4, I turned on (--with-*) all the
codecs and python and perl switches so my copy of ices
will support them.  The Fink/DarwinPorts pkgs might not
have that support built-into its pkgs.

And if you do this yourself, be sure to read all the
README and/or INSTALL files, they should help direct you
to what needs to be done first etc.  I'll give a big nod
to the maintenance logic inside those pkg installers,
(IIRC) the 'requires' lines can help you there.

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485