[Icecast] multiple network interfaces and icecast...

Michael Hale giftculture at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:20:04 UTC 2005

Hello everybody,

I'm in the process of shopping for machines to serve as
customer-facing servers for the internet radio project I mentioned a
few weeks ago - I have a few questions:  Best I can determine, icecast
performance isn't really CPU bound, but is more limited by total
bandwidth available.  Let's say that I went with gig-e network
interfaces - is it possible to put multiple interfaces in one machine
and have icecast stream audio to incoming requests on all of them?
How many listeners do you think one can get onto a gigabit ethernet
interface (considering protocol overhead, of course).  Are there any
limits in the code that could cause problems if one had multiple
gigabit ethernet cards in one machine?

Thanks for your help!
--
Michael Hale  <giftculture at gmail.com>