[Icecast] a few more questions...

Michael Hale giftculture at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:27:50 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I sent the last email prematurely - I had a few more questions.  I
don't wish to start a holy war here, but are there certain OSs /
Distros that are preferred for running very busy icecast servers?
We're a Solaris shop currently, but don't mind using linux or BSD if
that would make things easier.

I see there is a Fedora Core RPM on the icecast page - does that
indicate that Redhad would be a preferred distro to use?

What are people's experience around here that run large (20k plus
listener) icecast setups?  What hardware / OSs do you use and why?

Also, can icecast relay WMA9?  We decided to go with the Spacial Audio
SOS product to deal with AFTRA requirements, and it supports encoding
to mp3, mp3pro, WMA9, and OGG - is it much of a headache to have an
icecast server be able to relay mp3 and WMA9 streams at the same time?

Thanks for your help
--
Michael Hale  <giftculture at gmail.com>
gift culture      http://www.gift-culture.org