[Icecast] Lower bit rates crashing ices

Peter Traub ptraub at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 21 18:57:01 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm using ices-2.0.1 as part of an experimental art/music project in
which I am creating internet-based feedbackloops running between a
single server running ices, and multiple servers running icecast. Part
of what I'm interested in are the artifacts created through the
compression process. Because of that, I'm trying to tweak ices to do the
heaviest compression possible on the sound that is fed into it. However,
right now if I set compression below a particular bitrate, ices just
fails to run. Here is the code for my 'encode' section:

            <encode>
                <quality>-1</quality>
                <maximum-bitrate>32768</maximum-bitrate>
                <nominal-bitrate>32768</nominal-bitrate>
                <minimum-bitrate>8192</minimum-bitrate>
                <managed>1</managed>
                <samplerate>44100</samplerate>
                <channels>1</channels>

            </encode>

Since I can't turn quality below -1 in managed mode, I've tried playing
with the maximum, nominal, and minimum bitrates in managed mode.
Unfortunately, if the rates go below the numbers you see above, ices
crashes. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or have I just hit some
hard limit with the oggv compressor? Many thanks in advance.

Best,

Peter