[Icecast] Ices2 compile problem on Fedora 3?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Apr 18 22:43:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 23:17, Michael Smith wrote:
> On 4/18/05, Jason M. Sullivan <jsullivan at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to complie ices2.0.1 on a more-or-less stock Fedora 3
> > installation, and I'm getting the following compiler error (during linking,
> > I think).
> >
> > /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -I/usr/include/libxml2 -pthread -g -O2 -o ices  input.o cfgparse.o stream.o ices.o signals.o im_playlist.o reencode.o encode.o playlist_basic.o im_stdinpcm.o stream_shared.o metadata.o playlist_script.o audio.o resample.o im_oss.o  im_alsa.o log/libicelog.la timing/libicetiming.la thread/libicethread.la avl/libiceavl.la -lasound  -lvorbisenc  -L/usr/local/lib -lshout -lvorbis -L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -lm
> > libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libogg.la'
> > make[3]: *** [ices] Error 1
> >
> > This, in fact, doesn't exist, even though I've got libvorbis-devel and
> > libogg-devel installed.  Is the makefile looking for the wrong thing, or
> > am I missing a package?
>
> As ices2 author/maintainer, I'm happy to approve any patches that look
> correct, and solve real problems, but the auto* junk is not my area of
> expertise, so I can't really provide any solutions (sorry). My usual
> way of dealing with libtool problems is to link the application "by
> hand", since libtool is solely a way of making simple things that work
> into complex ones that don't.

The .la files are libtool files for listing dependencies, includes,
version etc for the package they relate to.   The ices package itself
doesn't refer to libogg.la so I'm guessing something like
/usr/lib/libvorbis.la does.

Either way libtool cannot find libogg.la when it needs to, so I guess
there is a libogg/libvorbis installation issue.   You are correct in
thinking that the libogg-devel should have that file, just like
libvorbis-devel should have libvorbis.la.  I would check the versions
you have, make sure they are from the same place.

karl.